Sponsor a Child Through Compassion

Help make a difference in the lives of children in need. Now is the time to sponsor a child.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Design By:

    Praying for Gavin

    Pray for Jedidiah

    Praying for Joanne

    http://thesimplewife.typepad.com/

    Bring The Rain

    I'm A Sunday

    Followers of ours

    Wednesday, April 14, 2010

    04.14.2010 Oh the SHOES!!!!!

    Ok, so i admit. I am a recovering "Shoe Aholic". That is a true disease, and should be taken SERIOUSLY. And i mean really seriously!

    My husband once (in love) required me to throw away/donate TWO (2) pairs of shoes for each new pair I bought. And it was PAINFUL. *wink* Anyway, i think at the time it was more about the fact that i took up about 3/4 of the walk-in closet that was the size of a small bedroom . I had shoes for every outfit and it was bordering on Imelda Marcos proportions. (if you don't know who that is or the story - then that analogy just wont make any sense to you)

    Then we decided to move to MT - and well the 4 extra large moving trucks just couldn't take them all. I downsized so much, with so much whining that i threw a mini fit and insisted i would just be barefoot and pregnant all the time so it wouldn't matter.

    These days...when i look back it is almost comical. I COVETED those shoes! Each and every pair was special. I was IDOLIZING shoes!!! Now, don't get me wrong, i don't profess to be cured. I am a RECOVERING Shoe-Aholic but not cured. I still love me some cute shoes. But the Lord kinda cured me of my shoe fettish when he brought me to my knees financially. Food trumps shoes.

    Where was i going with this? Oh, the kids!!!

    My darling Diva daughter somehow inherited the shoe-loving gene. She has many pairs. I could easily buy HER the shoes instead of me cuz kids need shoes. The bad part is i am the same size and thus my shoes LAST - that little girl is GROWING and thus it is like standing outside with $20 bills in my fist and letting them fly away.

    This past weekend in her whining about having to clean her room, she just started throwing pairs of shoes into the hallway. Rather than put them away - she decided to "clean house" so to speak. Her father, i think was encouraging her...though i can't prove that. And, seriously, when she was done "purging" of all the shoes that no longer fit (sadly, about 75% of them-PLEASE stop growing!) or that she just never would wear/didn't like - we had a mini shoe store right there in the hallway. I still can't bring myself to move them. 5 days later they are still there. All the homeless shoes, casted aside like moldy leftovers from the fridge.

    It hurt. Therefore i know i am indeed NOT cured, and it's another thing i must work on!

    The good news is that Momma got her a new pair of $10.00 tennis shoes at WalMart that she absolutely LOVES. YAY for the $10 shoes. I was sure she was going to hate them or they would have some kind of style defect that would make them "absolutely unacceptable"! I even bought the same kind (different color) in the next size up (clearanced) at a whopping $5. WOO-HOO. The best part of this story is that Summer is almost here (hopefully) so that girl will wear nothing but FLIP-FLOPS for an entire 3 month period. (Thanks to Karen for introducing my then 5yr old to the concept of Flip-Flops, thus requiring that i buy them in every possible color each year) At least old Navy usually has Flip-Flops for $5 or less!

    No more drama until school starts again and we repeat the shopping drama that requires me to buy 5 or more different "types" of shoes (boots, dress, flats, sneakers,snow boots, etc.) to make it through fall/winter.

    But i digress again! Well Kelly @ Kelly's Korner, bless her heart, had the audacity to do a post on shoes today. And to top it off they had the most adorable and PERFECT shoes for my boy as well. They met all the criteria dear Bubba loves. 1.) Camoflauge 2.) Velcro (gotta love the velcro so mommies are not constantly tying shoes!) Speaking of that - have you ever noticed that the Velcro shoes for little boys are all kinds of hideousness?!!! Seriously. Then there were THESE.....



    AHHHHH the shoes. I admit it, i ran over to the link for these and bought them before i could feel any remorse about how much they cost and how many pairs of UGLY KMart/WalMart velcro shoes i could buy for the price of this ONE pair. The redeeming part was that for each pair of shoes you purchase they provide a child in another country a pair of shoes. It made my heart smile thinking about a kid in India or Africa wairing some velcro camoflauge shoes like Bubba! Then my rationalizing brain said - well Missie- with shipping, this pair of shoes only actually cost $22 since the other $22 is going to another kids' pair.

    I'm RECOVERING, not cured..................
    *stop laughing Lynnette!

    3 comments:

    The Prescott's said...

    You know then there is your older sis who wears the same tennis shoes for 2 years! Washed but still dirty and have maybe 6 total pairs of shoes.Glad I didn't get that shoe thing! Lol

    Lynnette said...

    I am still laughing! We have to blame Mom on this one. She still has boxes of shoes when we lived in LA (20 years ago) that she will never wear! But now she has moved on to Dooney & Burke purses--still in their plastic. And the sad part is another Diva...Miss Aubrey is not so far from the rest of us. I am still laughing as I look at my two totes full of shoes and two underbed storage -- and I really only wear four! But deep down, I know I'll wear them again..right?? Oh, and don't get me started on my Classic Pooh Collection collecting dust!

    Kelly said...

    "Hi, my name is Aubrey and I too, love shoes."

    "Hi Aubrey!"

    We went shoes shopping for Aubs (she is outgrowing her 7's already!) but she hated it! I thought she'd be in heaven! When I wouldn't let her try on the princess shoes... after the second pair of try ons, she was done. We walked away with nothing!